January Selection - Back to Sci Fi?

It feels like a while since we read some Science Fiction, and with Vance and Earthsea coming up in the near future, I thought we could break things up with a sci-fi novel. So here are a bunch of stand-alone SF novels to choose from - some classic and some newer, by a variety of authors, and available in many formats.

This is my first time trying a poll - not sure if you can do multiple choice, but if not, list your likes in the comments.

Comments

I see no poll! I would pick the Ballard novel. Never read it.

Or to be more precise, I haven't read the Ballard, Gilman, or Russell novels, but I really like Ballard though I haven't read much of his work. So I would give Ballard 3, Gilman 2, and Russel 1 points.

I don't see the poll either - I wonder if it was automatically deleted when I edited the post.

So, just vote in the comments as usua1 - 3 points for your first choice, 2 for your second, and 1 for your third.

Thanks
    Chris

Huzzah for Sci-fi!

(I don't think this poll plugin can do rankings like we've done in the past.)

Oh wait, where did the poll go?

I've read Ubik and didn't rate it much. I'm not overly keen on Clarke. I know nothing about the rest, but Ballard's reputation preceeds him.

So, my scores: Vermillion Sands 3, others 2, Song of Distant Earth 1, Ubik 0.

Not overly helpful, I know.

I'd rather we go with a Ballard novel like Drowned World, Crystal World or Crash. So I'll vote for Wilhelm's novel which is really a series of interlinked novellas that seems to be considered here best novel. Her short stories are brilliant.

I can't find Where the Sweet Birds Sang in UK Kindle but if we go for that I'll get a 2nd hand over. I've read little Ballard and found him rather depressing :( Not so keen on Clarke so my preference would be Dark Orbit 3 points, The Sparrow 2 points, Where the Sweet Birds Sang 1 point

Great idea. I've not read any of those books. I'd gladly read any of them.

My lowest priorities might be the Clarke (I've never read a Clarke I've actually loved) and the Ballard (it's been ages since I've read Ballard, but I'm finding myself not in the mood for short story collections). Dark Orbit has sort of been on my radar.

So:
    Dark Orbit: 3
    The Sparrow: 2
    Ubik: 1

Still, what do I know? With my last selection, I was the only one in the club who actually liked it!

For me, it's Dark Orbit (3) followed by The Sparrow (2) and The Songs of Distant Earth (1) though really they all interest me. The only one I've read are the various stories from Vermilion Sands (as part of the Complet Short Works collection), which are sweet, fanciful, and humorous and I suspect a departure from the work Ballard is most known for (Crash, Drowned World, Highrise).

Dark Orbit was nominated by @MARCC several years ago and was a runner up in a monthly pick poll back then. The Sparrow intrigues me for its theme, and The Songs because I generally like Clarke's ideas (not always his execution) and so far we've only read one of the Big 3 here at the club. Dick is the fourth Big 3 in my book, and Ubik is consistently listed as his best novel. Where Late is considered a classic and re-released in the SF Masterworks Series (as were Ubik and Songs). So those (plus all-round availability) were the reasons I suggested these books.

@Apocryphal said:
    so far we've only read one of the Big 3 here at the club.

I'd absolutely love us to do an Asimov at some point. I think I've read every bit of science fiction he's written, and he obsessed me at one point. It would be great for me to revisit.

Hello! I'm new here (will introduce me soon!). My poll answers look like this:

1. Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang (what a title!)
    2. The Sparrow
    3. Dark Orbit

Actual vote:
    1. Dark Orbit
    2. Vermilion Sands
    3. Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

I do want to read the Songs of Distant Earth, though. Not feeling the Sparrow or Ubik.

edited December 2018

I would like to nominate Far from the Spaceports by one Richard Abbott for a future read. Very interesting! We might be able to find the author, even!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WODIUU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

@clash_bowley said:
    I would like to nominate Far from the Spaceports by one Richard Abbott for a future read. Very interesting! We might be able to find the author, even!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WODIUU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Please use the nominations thread for nominations. I heard that author changed his name to Butterbeard, married someone named Alexa, then become an innkeeper and publican in the West Farthing.

Tally so far:
    Vermilion Sands: 8pts
    Dark Orbit: 15pts
    The Sparrow: 9pts
    Songs of Distant Earth: 3pts
    When Late The Sweet Birds Sang: 8pts
    Ubik: 1pt

We might still get a few more votes, but it's looking good for Dark Orbit.
    Remember, just because we don't read something this time doesn't mean we can't another time.

Welcome to the club @joakim !

Dark Orbit is on my to read list!

> Please use the nominations thread for nominations. I heard that author changed his name to Butterbeard, married someone named Alexa, then become an innkeeper and publican in the West Farthing.
    >
    ... and spends his spare time discussing - very slowly - the finer points of Entish poetry with any stray rowan trees he finds...

Right. All of these look great to me except I'm not really up for Ubik right now. Luckily that's not making most people's lists anyway. :) I still have to crack Lyonesse! Ugh. My reading is falling way behind right now. I'm just going to let you all vote. If it comes down to a tie, let me know and I'll cast a tie breaker. :)