Book Club Newsletter Issue 6

13»

Comments

> @NeilNjae said:
    > I'm happy to read a book that's been adapted. What book are you thinking of? Does it have a film that everyone would know?

The short story is Ted Chiang's _Story of Your Life_ (to be found in the collection _Stories of Your Life and Others_ which has some other good ones too). It was turned into the film _Arrival_ which has some similarities and some noteworthy differences.
    @clash_bowley is October, followed by @dr_mitch in November. The coveted December slot falls to @RichardAbbott .

A book adapted to film is fine. We did The Martian a few years ago, and The Hobbit, and Roadside Picnic. A number of books we read recently have been optioned for film, but no film so far been made (like Blake Crouch’s Recursion). Others have become TV shows or miniseries.

We certainly did do The Lord of the Rings - it was one of our best efforts, and immortalized in a book called The Fellowship of the Read (available from Sandyman Miller Press).

@Apocryphal said:
    @clash_bowley is October, followed by @dr_mitch in November. The coveted December slot falls to @RichardAbbott .

A book adapted to film is fine. We did The Martian a few years ago, and The Hobbit, and Roadside Picnic. A number of books we read recently have been optioned for film, but no film so far been made (like Blake Crouch’s Recursion). Others have become TV shows or miniseries.

We certainly did do The Lord of the Rings - it was one of our best efforts, and immortalized in a book called The Fellowship of the Read (available from Sandyman Miller Press).

Oh, D'UH! I wasn't thinking of the slow reads! I'm naught but a ninnyhammer!

I’m also good with a book that has been adapted into a movie, much better than the other way around. :)

The Girl with all the Gifts was another book/movie combo we've done.