Berserker Q7 - Writing

"Mitch wanted only to rest. Then, to his work. The world was bad, and all men were fools - but there were men who would not be crushed. And that was a thing worth telling."

Scanning through Saberhagen's oeuvre on Goodreads – The Book of Swords, The Lost Swords, The Empire of the East, and the Berserker series, one thing strikes me – almost all his books score the same rating of between 3.5 and 3.9 out of 5, which suggests to me that he's very consistent. What did you think of the writing? Would you read more by this author?

Comments

I felt that the writing was the stand-out best bit of the book, and carried me along even when some parts felt very dated (the role of women and machine intelligence). He came over to me as an accomplished and confident writer who was well able to draw on a wide variety of classical and recent literature to illustrate his point.

Yes, I would read others by him though maybe not another berserker novel - I'd like to explore some of his other works.

I quite liked the writing overall, and I thought it was probably better in the later stories. And, I think, there was enough conceptual stuff going on, as a start. He only took up writing in 1960 at the age of 30, so these were generally pretty early stories - 1962 to 1965. I see room for growth, but not a bad start.

Pretty good, I think. I wouldn't call his writing deep or subtle, especially when it comes to characters. Did any of the people have real depth and complexity? I think the closest we came was the story "What T and I did".

As I said in answer to the previous question, I used to be a fan of Saberhagen. He is a more than competent writer whose main difficulty was characterization. He would at times use simplistic one dimensional characters where he should have used more complex personalities. I think he did well otherwise.