Ancestral Night 5: Locations

The book is spread across an enormous variety of different environments and situations. Did you have a personal favourite?

Comments

I liked the description of Singer, but I did wonder a bit about how the three of them managed to get along so well in such a small space over a long time. Perhaps there was some mental adjustment going on? The stations were well-described, with the different environments suited for different species. I liked the detail of the BYOB Turkish restaurant!

@NeilNjae said:
    I liked the description of Singer, but I did wonder a bit about how the three of them managed to get along so well in such a small space over a long time. Perhaps there was some mental adjustment going on?...

I guess rightminding is powerful stuff :)

Doesn't Haimey have her emotions turned off until Farweather breaks her fox? I thought there were only two of them in the ship - the third being the non-physical servant type ship mind. Was I mistaken? Anyway, I honestly didn't remark on any of the locations - none stood out for me.

@Apocryphal said:
    Doesn't Haimey have her emotions turned off until Farweather breaks her fox? I thought there were only two of them in the ship - the third being the non-physical servant type ship mind. Was I mistaken? Anyway, I honestly didn't remark on any of the locations - none stood out for me.

I think she had had her sexual-response emotions turned off, but everything else left "running" with the expectation she would control responses herself via rightminding. But regarding sex and intimacy she no longer trusted herself after (what she remembers as) the disastrous relationship with Niyara.

I thought the flatness of the locations could have been a strength when discussing rightminding, but it never went anywhere. Combined with the flatness of Hainey's affect, or perhaps due to it, I wasn't ever really invested. I think it striking that Bear doesn't provide any real description of the Pirate locations.