How are people getting on with this book?

Hi all,
this coming weekend is the last weekend in October (and coincidentally the last weekend of most UK autumn half term holidays). Would people like a bit more time to finish or shall I post some discussion starters this weekend?

Comments

I'm afraid to say, I've got to about half way and lost all interest in the book. I won't be contributing to the discussion. Sorry.

@NeilNjae said:
    I'm afraid to say, I've got to about half way and lost all interest in the book. I won't be contributing to the discussion. Sorry.

Fair enough

As I mentioned elsewhere, I’ve been reading Binti by mistake. However, I’ll catch up on Stranger. Might need two weeks.

I think Stanger is more a book for @RichardAbbott , @BarnerCobblewood , @WildCard , and me, than it is for @NeilNjae ( who has professed to disliking books that are love letters to the writing of books) and, we’ll, I’m not sure about @clash_bowley, but I think he likes more scientific (logical?) and less literary stories.

I'll query again in a week or so and see where everyone is

@Apocryphal said:

I think Stanger is more a book for @RichardAbbott , @BarnerCobblewood , @WildCard , and me, than it is for @NeilNjae ( who has professed to disliking books that are love letters to the writing of books) and, we’ll, I’m not sure about @clash_bowley, but I think he likes more scientific (logical?) and less literary stories.

It certainly has a lot of writing. I can't fault the book for a lack of words.

It'll be really interesting to hear what other people have to say about the book.

@Apocryphal said:

I’m not sure about @clash_bowley, but I think he likes more scientific (logical?) and less literary stories.

I have no problem with literary stories. What I have problems with are authors that ignore any pretense at cause and effect or logic, and instead flash their Lit Crit chops. It's like guitarists who use speed and technique in place of taste. I am fine with both being used.

Finished a couple of weeks ago.

@NeilNjae said:

@Apocryphal said:

It certainly has a lot of writing. I can't fault the book for a lack of words.

It'll be really interesting to hear what other people have to say about the book.

I kind of like it when we don't all agree on a book, and it would be good even if you didn't finish it to contribute what you thought and felt.

@clash_bowley Right… so the question remains as to whether this is one of those books or not. It’s definitely literary in intent. I don’t recall if the internal logic was sound. I do recall that it had a lot of words. :) and was somewhat rambly. I thought Barner might like it because it was a socially oriented ( as opposed to conflict oriented) fantasy, but I could easily be wrong about that!

@Apocryphal said:
    @clash_bowley Right… so the question remains as to whether this is one of those books or not. It’s definitely literary in intent. I don’t recall if the internal logic was sound. I do recall that it had a lot of words. :) and was somewhat rambly. I thought Barner might like it because it was a socially oriented ( as opposed to conflict oriented) fantasy, but I could easily be wrong about that!

So far I haven't seen any glaring inconsistencies in logic or attempts to replace cause and effect by stupid author tricks, so, right now at least, I am doing fine with it.

I’m 50 pages in, now. It’s very descriptive and definitely has a sense of place. Loads of little details make it vivid. Doesn’t seem like a book you can skim without getting lost - I find I have to force myself to read with purpose to get the most from it.