The Dream Archipelago Week 12: The Watched, conclusion
- It is five days since Ordier last say the Qataari. He awakes early in the morning, having decided that the woman is indeed an offering.
- Jenessa wakes after him, but leaves early to take Parren to the ferry for Muriseay. Apparently his plane is ready.
- After she leaves, Ordier prances about his room, speaking to the Qataari via their imagined scintilla. His statements contradict themselves. He embarks on a pantomime dance, but is interrupted by Luovi Parren, who catches him unaware.
- Luovi seems to be flirting. She asks where Jenessa is, and points out that she can't be with Jacj, because Jacj left for Muriseay two days prior. She also tells Ordier that the scintilla have already been seeded. She says she knows that Ordier has been spying on the Qataari, and threatens to reveal this to Jenessa.
- Ordier tells Luovi to leave, but when he sees she's going to wrong way, he offers to drive her into town. She refuses, and treats the offer like a threat. He lets her go.
- Ordier then goes down to the folly to once again spy on the Qataari. As he guessed, the ritual resumes exactly where it last left off - the lies in the middle of the circle amid the rose petals. There are also petals in the folly. Ordier watches as the woman is tied, stripped, and covered in rose petals.
- He's convinced she's an offering and decides to go down to her. He makes his way to the bottom and explores the area of the ritual, even looking inside the statues. He's convinced he's being watched. He follows the rope to the centre, but finds the woman is gone. He lies down with the knot of ropes between his shoulders.
- He lays back amid the rose petals and stares up at the planes diverging from the vortex.
- What did you think of the ending? Was it satisfying? Typical for Priest? What meaning did it hold?
- Free will vs determination are discussed in this section. What do these have to do with being watched?
- What do you make of the the difference between Jenessa's timeline of Jacj's activities, and Luovi's version?
- What's behind Luovi's threat to expose Ordier, and why should he care if his activities are revealed?
- What's the significance of the vortex at the end?