Mini-review: A Closed and Common Orbit

Back in July 2019, we read "A long way to a small, angry planet", which I gave up on from boredom. Recently I heard recommendations for the second book in the series, "A closed and common orbit."

It was great!

It's the same feel: a bunch of decent people get through life by being kind and supportive to each other. I think what helped with this book is that the characters were dealt various degrees of bad hands in life, and that allowed the author to show their characters as they rose to those challenges.

There are two storylines. The AI from book 1 has its memory wiped and is now embedded in a humanoid body, but the law requires such entities to be destroyed on sight. Meanwhile, a young girl escapes from slavery and has to hide in a huge junkyard.

Not-really-a-spoiler: they all live happily ever after.

Comments

That's really interesting, thanks for telling us about this. I did like _Long Way etc_ although didn't like that the author felt unwilling to keep any tension going past a chapter boundary. The most striking example was probably the guy thrown in the clink for being a clone. This could have been a really challenging sub-plot to get into, but it all dissolved in a matter of a few pages by appealing to an obscure law which most of the characters didn't know, let alone the reader.

I really liked Long Way and have continued on with the series. A Closed and Common Orbit is one of my favorites. I love how the two storylines complement each other,

I might add the third book to my TBR pile. You know how it goes...

@NeilNjae said:
    I might add the third book to my TBR pile. You know how it goes...

I do indeed!