99 Aztec Century - betrayal

Much of the plot revolves around betrayal, leading ultimately to Catherine's self-destructive betrayal. The cycle appears impossible to break out of. Did you find this convincing? compelling? implausible? If you had to decide, would you say that Bevan was loyal to Catherine, to the Aztecs, or to nobody? Did you find Alex, Victoria, or the twist which exposed their relationship credible?

Comments

Yeah... not really. Alex should have stayed dead, as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was moving along nicely as a quasi-personal political drama in which someone has to come to terms with the new normal, and would she eventually toe the Aztec line, or be pushed over some other edge. I would even go so far as to say that much of the plot DIDN'T revolve around the betrayal - it was just sort of sprung on us at the end, changing the momentum of the book, and ultimately changing what the book was about into something less interesting.

Through the earlier part of the book, I did wonder a lot about his choice of POV character - was Catherine's really the most interesting story to tell, here? I didn't think it was - that maybe it was even a bit lazy to tell the story of a royal. But gradually I started to like this aspect of it, and her gradual drawing in to Extepan and the Aztecs. So by the third quarter of the book I was lapping it up. But I didn't find the big reveal credible, or even all that interesting, and wished he had gone a different direction.

In the first part of the book, there was a nice feeling of suspicion and second-guessing. I don't know what Bevan was eventually revealed as, but he was set up as either a double agent or a mole for the Aztecs.

I knew right away that Alex had betrayed her. I thought it was obvious. I had been waiting though the whole book to see it all come out. Then again, I immediately figure out whodunit in police procedurals - which I love - all the time. I also knew Victoria was not in any secret cabal - the characters of Alex and Victoria were finely drawn and practically shouted out who they were. But the journey to how these things were learned by Catherine was very enjoyable.

@NeilNjae said:
    In the first part of the book, there was a nice feeling of suspicion and second-guessing. I don't know what Bevan was eventually revealed as, but he was set up as either a double agent or a mole for the Aztecs.

We never actually learn this. Catherine believes at the end in her own real timeline that Bevan there is a mole, and yet another betrayer, but she is under the influence of Aztec drugs at the time so as readers we don't know for sure. But for Catherine, it means that when she encounters the parallel Bevan in what seems to be our timeline, she cannot bring herself to trust him. It's another example of how suspicion breeds suspicion.