Mini-review: Agency, by William Gibson

A brief review of Gibson's latest. (Mild spoilers for his previous book.)

His Neuromancer trilogy was fantastic, but I don't think his subsequent books were as good. That's until The Peripheral arrived: Gibson was back on form. Agency is the sequel, and the third part of the trilogy will be along sometime.

Agency is good, but I don't think it's as good as The Peripheral. It's set in the same overall universe, with the action split between the post-Jackpot world and a "stub": an alternate world where Hilary Clinton won the presidency and Brexit didn't happen. Gibson has a good sense of place and narrates the detail of places, people, and activity. The characters are well-drawn and intriguingly idiosyncratic. The action flips rapidly between the two alternate worlds, with chapters rarely being more than a dozen pages long.

But the plot is lacking a bit, I think. For the book being called Agency, and much being made of characters' ability to act, a lot of the book involves people doing what they're told for unexplained reasons. You can also see various things being put in place for a climax in the third book.

That being said, it was a decent read. I ploughed through it rapidly.

Comments

@NeilNjae this sounds really interesting... I have often meant to read Neuromancer but have never done so. And these latest two sound well worth reading

I've tried several times to read Neuromancer, but have never been able to get past the first chapter. I just find the characters all so pretentiously cool in their counter-culturedness that I couldn't stand to read another word!

Maybe this series would be a better way for me to try Gibson?