6. Other stories in the book

Did you read any of the other short stories in the collection? If so, what were your thoughts and which was your favourite?

Ted Chiang has recently released another collection of stories - are you tempted to get hold of it? So far as I know he has not written anything more than these two sets of short stories, and in particular has not developed an idea into a novel. Do you have any thoughts or comments about this? Do you think that Story of your Life could be developed into a novel or has it exhausted its potential at its current length?

Comments

I think Story of Your Life could easily have been a novel, as there's a lot more to explore here (as they did in the film). The story barely touches on the theme if what happens when you learn an alien language, let alone explore the implications of alien contact. But I think it could easily fall into the trap of trying to establish more who the aliens are, or what their purpose is (as the film also did) which might be a mistake.

As for the other stories, I quite liked Tower of Babylon as a piece of abstract fantasy with a nice twist. Liking What you See was a great exploration of a social conundrum, I thought. Seventy Two Letters had an interesting premise but didn't really hold my interest. Nor did Hell is the Absence. The rest were decent, and make me realize that Chiang quite likes exploring the topics of science and math - which is actually a nice change in SF, I think.

edited January 4

_didn't read any of the other stories, but probably will, given I really liked this one. Hey! I had an album to get out!

edited January 4

I tried reading a couple of others, with varying degrees of success. I felt that most of them followed the same structure as Story of Your Life: he had an interesting maths/physics idea and wrote a bit of narrative to explore it. I found that after reading SoYL, I was bored by his other works. (That's why I suggested people not read the other stories before discussing them: I found my enjoyment of SoYL tainted by my boredom with the others.)

@clash_bowley well done on the album

edited January 4

@NeilNjae said:
    @clash_bowley well done on the album

Thank you, Neil! :D