5. Gaming

Is the story gameable? The film? What elements would you pull out to make an engaging game out of a first contact scenario which is so completely different from Independence Day and its like?

Comments

That's a challenging one, but I think you really could do something interesting with the idea of a character's perspective of the world changing the more they learn an alien language. In game terms, I suppose this might work something like the sanity/stability mechanics so often seen in Cthulhu themed games, which... now that I think about it, is pretty well a direct metaphor. In Cthulhu games, the more you learn about the mythos, the loser your grip on reality is. In SOYL, the more you learn of the alien language, the looser your grip on time is.

This is not the same but close enough that I’ll comment. Probably because of this month’s selection, I recently bought the role playing game Dialect, which is about the changes and eventual death of an isolated population’s language. I had hoped to play it with my son and daughter-in-law during their Christmas visit, but we didn’t get to it. (14-day quarantine and COVID test before their visit, so we were all safe.)

Each session is self-contained and lasts 3-4 hours. Anyone interested in doing a one-shot or perhaps doing it pbf?

https://thornygames.com/pages/dialect

I might be, depending on when. Also, @BarnerCobblewood is always looking for games without conflict.

Nothing I would ever game, but some concepts might be brought in as background.

@WildCard said:
    This is not the same but close enough that I’ll comment. Probably because of this month’s selection, I recently bought the role playing game Dialect, which is about the changes and eventual death of an isolated population’s language. I had hoped to play it with my son and daughter-in-law during their Christmas visit, but we didn’t get to it. (14-day quarantine and COVID test before their visit, so we were all safe.)

Each session is self-contained and lasts 3-4 hours. Anyone interested in doing a one-shot or perhaps doing it pbf?

https://thornygames.com/pages/dialect

That sounds really interesting

Microscope is the other game that would fit this idea well. For those who don't know, it's a game of creating a history. You start by defining the first and last eras of a history, then either create other eras between them or drill down into particular periods or incidents in an era. Even though you're building on what's already been defined, you often find that later revelations put earlier events in a whole new light.

As for Dialect, I've played it once as a one-off with some non-gamers. It worked fairly well, with some interesting comments on cultures and societies. I'd be interested in joining a game.