1. The story and characters

Did you find the plot interesting? The characters believable or likeable? The setting credible?

Comments

In the short story, yes - I really liked both the scientists as strong characters at the top of their field, and the tight focus on their work (and the plot). In the film.... not really. I suspect Amy Adams and Hawkeye might be the worst possible combination of leads for me, but I found the ... I don't know, fragility? of her portrayal annoyed me compared to the book, and Jeremy Renner if anything annoyed me more with his chiseled non-engagement.

I found the setting, and plot, really believable, and I loved the ambiguity of the ending in the story - the film's hanging a 'bigger' plot around it didn't work for me, but that's how films work I guess.

One thing the film did do well was present a believably dark, grimy sci fi setting, and it's something I'll have in mind for future sci fi games. I liked the rain, the enormity of the alien ships, the way they did the heptapod voices.

I liked the characters in the book far more than in the movie. I felt the setting more in the movie, but the plot? I felt the movie crew got one of those "This movie could really use a talking dog!" notes from the producer. I liked the movie, but felt the drama added was overwrought and fake. I vastly preferred the book's resolution.

There wasn't so much a "plot" as a "situation" in the story, and that's fine given the length of the story. It's Sapir-Whorf again, but an interesting take on it. It brings up interesting questions of free will. Banks ends up moving through life knowning everything she does and will do. Does she have more or less free will than before?

I liked the scientist characters, doing well at doing science. I don't think anyone in the story did anything particularly stupid or plot-driven. That was refreshing.

@NeilNjae said:
    I liked the scientist characters, doing well at doing science. I don't think anyone in the story did anything particularly stupid or plot-driven. That was refreshing.

Yes! I dealt with scientists all the time in my working life, and these scientists ring true.