Reading Habits

edited November 16 in General Book Babble

I thought this was advice was interesting, in part because I think I disagree with a few of them.

I Read 50-Plus Books Every Year: Here’s How I Do It

Comments

But then what do I know. After being a powerhouse for a few years, I have fallen face-first onto the pavement this year.

Hmmm, I don't believe that Rebecca Deczynski has a real job that actually takes too much of her time...

I have never counted the books I've read. I wouldn't know.

Really interesting. I've recently tried to read more, and my methods have involved
    A) joining this forum - social contract makes me more likely to stick to a plan, and certainly the last 2 books I probably wouldn't have finished without knowing I could see what others thought about them, and
    B) I've tried something I heard Patrick Stewart (the Star Trek/X-Men actor, not the OSR game designer) does. Set my alarm 30 minutes early, get a coffee, and read for 30 minutes in bed. It's actually worked really well, until work got busy and I stopped doing it - I need that habit more.

I think that posting on Instagram / twitter and stuff helps to make it a habit, certainly, and I like seeing other people doing it so I have no shame about it - I should do this as well.

On a tangential note, in 2020 I started logging the RPGs I play on a big Google Sheet. And this is amazing! I have so many games I might have forgotten about otherwise, and it's definitely made me play more games (lockdown may have had an impact too) - I'm at 142 so far where I thought 100 in a year was an ambitious target.

> @BurnAfterRunning said:
    > On a tangential note, in 2020 I started logging the RPGs I play on a big Google Sheet. And this is amazing! I have so many games I might have forgotten about otherwise, and it's definitely made me play more games (lockdown may have had an impact too) - I'm at 142 so far where I thought 100 in a year was an ambitious target.

I try to use Goodreads for this, especially as it has the nifty annual summary served up for you in the new year. I have the good intention of keeping this reliably up to date, but we all know what happens to good intentions... Right now I'm many months behind and hoping to use some of the time during this second lockdown period to catch up with myself. If only all those necessary tasks that you can only do when there are no customers around didn't keep getting in the way...
    I only started counting when I noticed others talking about reading ‘50 books’ in a year and I started to get curious about how many I read (turns out 64 is about average). I don’t have any tips to share... I read a lot because I love doing it. Sitting on our back deck in the garden in the summer is one of my favourite things to do! When we vacation, we rent places with nice views and nice places to sit and read. In the winter, I listen to music and read in the living room - sometimes with a fire.

I discovered audio books a long time ago because my dad has a lot of books on tape. Maybe a decade ago I got an audible account. Not because I wanted to increase my count (I wasn’t counting at the time) but because I wanted to listen to books while doing my menial chores. Now I listen to books a lot - when washing dishes, when walking to and from work, when cleaning, when gardening, and sometimes even at work, if the task permits.

Listening to audio books has increased the number of books I consume, but that’s about the only tip I can offer. I do change up my reading (fiction, gaming, history are all on frequent rotation) but not because it helps be read more. I just change as the mood hits me. I also don’t schedule any particular time to read. I read anytime I have the time and mental stillness to do so.