The Obelisk Gate: Recap
We've finished book 2 of the trilogy, and time to take stock of where we are.
- Are people enjoying the books? Do we want to continue with the reading?
- The scale of the action has changed enormously in this book, from the personal story of Damaya/Syenite/Essun to one of world-spanning and world-shattering consequences. Was this a successful transition?
- What type of book is this? SF? Fantasy? Superhero? Something else?
- Jemisin is pushing the racism analogy hard. Is it one that's working? Do you think the book is a worthwhile commentary on the real world and forces in it?
- Nassun is being manipulated by the adults around her. To what extent is Essun also being manipulated, or affected by the baggage of past manipulations? Do either of these characters have anything to tell us about manipulation, control, and abusive relationships?
- What questions do you have?