VTT role play doesn't have to be onerous or complicated.

edited April 21 in Game Discussion

Did my third virtual role-play game last Friday. My set up is very low tech. I use my iPhone (on wifi mode) and Skype. Works like a charm. We did three D&D5e games and one Modern AGE session. Each session is 2.5 to 3 hours long. Some players use a dice roller app but I don't insist on it. I (GM) make my rolls in front of the camera.

My iPhone is tapped on the arm of an articulated lamp.

Comments

Yes - I'm the same with mine. Simple Hangouts meeting, no other tech. Though some games I've played have used more sophisticated software. I'm happy to play those, but not so much with GMing.

@dr_mitch said:
    Yes - I'm the same with mine. Simple Hangouts meeting, no other tech. Though some games I've played have used more sophisticated software. I'm happy to play those, but not so much with GMing.

Indeed. I looked at Roll20 and other sites and decided I prefer spending time dreaming up better stories and hooks based on the player's action during the last game, then importing tokens and drawing maps.

But if I was in my twenties I would be 100% into Roll20 and drawing applications.