Fifth Season Ch 22 & 23
Alabaster tells the story of the Season of Teeth. Guardians attack Meov. Alabaster erects a wall around the island and sinks some of the ships. Antimony the stone eater drags Alabaster into the earth. Alabaster makes Syenite promise to keep Coru out of the Guardian's hands. Syenite joins the Clalsu as they attack the remaining Guardian ships. The Clalsu is boarded. Innon is killed by a Guardian, disintegrated. Schaffa tries to persuade Syenite to surrender. Syenite refuses, kills Coru, and calls on the amethyst obelisk for power. She destroys the remaining ships and kills most people in the ships. The first-person narrator is revealed as Hoa.
Essun goes to see Alabaster. Antimony and Hoa have a stand off. Alabaster is burnt, half-turned to stone, and partially eaten. Alabaster says he created the Yumenes rift, using the obelisks and node maintainers (who are now all dead). He then asks Damaya/Syenite/Essun about a moon.
- Alabaster tries to protect Meov by creating a wall. Syenite tries to defend Meov by attacking the Guardians. Are these different actions in character with what we know of these people?
- Syenite kills her child; Essun is prepared to kill her husband to save her child. Are these two desires consistent in one character?
- Two more twists in these chapters: Hoa is the narrator, and Alabaster opened the Yumenes rift. Did people see either of these coming?
- Why would Alabaster be interested in a moon?
- Why did Alabaster create the Yumenes rift?