Fifth Season Ch 10 & 11
Another hint about Essun's complex past, but she decides her love for Nassun means she has to stay who she is. Essun and Hoa flee the roadhouse in the night, rather than get involved in the fight that breaks out. They return in the morning, Essun confident in her orogeny to keep them safe. They have a wary but friendly encounter with a commless geomest. Hoa is attacked by a feral kirkhusa; Hoa turns it to stone, saying he didn't want to reveal that ability "yet." They continue south, with the commless woman.
Damaya settles in to life as a grit in Fulcrum. Maxixe, another grit, sits with her for lunch. Following that, Damaya is bullied. Damaya enlists the help of Crack to find out who's behind it. This exposes a secret trade in shoes, alcohol, sexual favours, and letters home. Maxixe has his hands broken, Jasper is exiled, and Crack is disappeared.
- The roadhouse encounter between Essun and the commless woman: does this ring true as something that would happen in an unfolding apocalypse?
- Ch 10 reinforces @Apocryphal 's idea that these chapters are the gathering of a superhero team. Who is the commless geomest, and what are her powers?
- The kirkhusa is another instance where Jemisin describes the unusual without describing the normal. (There could have been descriptions of pet kirkhusas in Tirimo; Essun could have had one.) Is the technique still effective?
- There's a throwaway mention of one of the grits being a boy without a penis. Any thoughts on this?
- Is it plausible how Damaya deals with the bullying, and the outcomes of it?
- Is there any speculation about Crack's fate?