Brave New World 4: Science and God

In their discussion at the end of the book, Mond and Savage have a long discussion about God and his place in a culture based on scientific principles. I don't have much to say about this, but I'm leaving this here in case others want to discuss it.

Comments

I don't see belief in God and science as remotely contradictory. I see biblical literalism and science as opposed, but that's not the same thing at all, and indeed the former is a modern phenomenon.

The thing is that what the people in the book refer to as scientific principles are of course universally applied industrial principles, made possible by science. The veneration of Ford makes that clear.

Nothing to add here, atm, but this might be a good place to say 'great questions, as usual, @NeilNjae !'

@Apocryphal said:
    Nothing to add here, atm, but this might be a good place to say 'great questions, as usual, @NeilNjae !'

Thanks!

I suspect that Huxley was writing from a position where religious faith was seen as only having relevance in the gaps in knowledge, and that would (so it was thought) inevitably diminish as the gaps grew s

I am with @dr_mitch in this. God v. science is a false dichotomy.