Citadel of the Autarch, chapters 9 to 11

Two more stories, and Severian chats to one of the Pelerines.

Yes that is it for events, but it still feels like there are things to discuss, for example on the meaning of Language in Loyal to the Group of Seventeen's story (which reminds me of a particular Star Trek Next Generation episode I plan to rewatch).

Comments

@dr_mitch said:
    Yes that is it for events, but it still feels like there are things to discuss, for example on the meaning of Language in Loyal to the Group of Seventeen's story (which reminds me of a particular Star Trek Next Generation episode I plan to rewatch).

I imagine it's Darmok?

Back with the chapters, the conversation with Ava the Pellerine raises the interesting possibility that Severian has a sister - indeed, if I am interpreting her phrase "brother-sister names" correctly, a twin. That would go along with other odd clues, such as the play with Meschia and Meschiane. If so, would the twin be Thecla? AT first sight one says surely not, as she is of a different class of society, but Ava goes on to say "sometimes you vanish, and there's a tall, pale woman using your face"? Or Agia? Or someone we have not yet met?

Loyal's story was provocative in several levels - partly because we only actually hear it through Foila's "translation", and partly because nobody, least of all Severian, can work out if his tale is loyal or subversive!

Having a twin sister would be interesting. I thought Thecla was older, so I’d guess not her. Agia is an interesting speculation. To fit the theory, her name must be Severa. Severa and Severian seem like playful names for Siamese twins separated at birth, no? Remember we don’t know Severian’s actual social class.

I also liked Loyal's story. I liked how it was an example of playing with language.

An interesting thing that came up in Ava's conversation was the madness of "corpse-eaters", those who have eaten the alzabo. Vodalus and the others at the feast didn't seem to exhibit any of the madness, and it wasn't mentioned at the time as an effect. Is it something transient, or is it a permanent effect of eating alzabo that only affects some people?

Each of the three stories so far seems to convey a life lesson:
    Loyal: Perseverance is rewarded
    Melito: Spirit trumps all
    Hallvard: The truth will out, maybe?

LEXICON

"Practically, all of us are armigettes or exultants. It's a rather aristocratic order."

Armigette: We've possibly had 'Armiger' in the lexicon before - it is a person entitled to bear a coat of arms. An Armigette is a female armiger.

Exultant: I think we've had this one in the lexicon before, too. In English, the word 'Exultant' is an adjective, not a verb. In the Lexicon Urthus, an Exultant is a person of higher standing. Exultants are the tall people we occasionally encounter. There's some word-play here, since the word 'Exult' means 'to leap' in Latin. Exultants are both taller and of higher standing, laving leapt above everyone else both socially and biologically.