The Land God Gave to Cain - Q1: What did you think of the book?
I think that, rather that start a number of discussion threads, I'll try this with just two - one to ask what you thought of the book, and another for gaming applicability.
So, I hear you've read The Land God Gave to Cain by Hammond Innes. Was this your first Innes novel? What did you think of it? In particular, what did you think the strengths of the novel were? The weaknesses? Consider the following:
1. The plot - was it plausible? Was it engaging?
2. The mystery that Fergusson is trying to solve - is it sustained? Is it dramatic?
3. The genre - is this a thriller, or an adventure, or a mystery?
4. The scenery - Does he bring Labrador alive? Is this an exotic location for you? How do you feel about Labrador (or North Shore Quebec, for that matter) after reading it?
5. The characters - Fergusson, Lands, Paule, Laroche, Darcy, Ledder, that other radio operator whose name I forget. Who stands out? Are any well drawn? Poorly drawn.
6. The story of Cain and Abel - The book is so named because explorer Jacques Cartier decribed the barren North Shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence as "The Land God Gave to Cain". This much is mentioned in the text. Apart from the name, though, does Innes capitalize on the myth? How so?