The Hair-Carpet Weavers Q5: Theme
What's the main theme of the novel? How does the novel explore this theme? How does it leave you feeling about the theme?
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Help offset server costs by donating. This is totally optional. Any overages will go to library fines or new books.
What's the main theme of the novel? How does the novel explore this theme? How does it leave you feeling about the theme?
Comments
I guess this was an area where I ended up thinking, yeah, whatever! My take on it was that it was a simple revenge plot focusing on hair to highlight the clash between two rulers. I suppose there's a sense that carpeting an entire planet with hair carpets shows a staggering level of power, but also pettiness.
And of course that was the second level of "what was it about" - the ability of those in power to simply set arbitrary and rather nonsensical goals that the underlings had no choice but to seek to fulfil. As a motif that applies on all kinds of levels, from the family through the workplace to the government. And it's a good topic to explore, and not to forget. But as the driving force behind the whole tale I had a slight sense of being let down.