Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman is our January 2019 Book

Hi Everyone,

I'm announcing Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman as our January pick here at the club. Read this book before the end of January and we'll discuss it at the end of the month.

To whet your appetite, here's a review from TOR.com
https://tor.com/2015/07/13/book-review-know-dark-orbit-by-carolyn-ives-gilman/

Dark Orbit is a peculiar novel, by turns sharp and gentle, cynical and idealistic, empiricist and mystical. But its characters are strongly drawn, its universe is richly sketched, and its prose is sheer delight. It is deeply compelling in its peculiarities, and probably one of the best novels of science fiction that I’ve read in the last few years. And it’s fascinating.

Comments

OOOOOOOH! Good choice.
    Curious to see what the members think of it.

Just read ch1 tonight and so far am finding it excellent! Looks like a great choice.

Finished now and my opinion went up rather than down. I suspect that some folk won't like it but for me it was a fantastic choice. One that I will reread after the discussion is over

I'm still early in the book, but see some interesting themes developing.

I might be a little late to this discussion. I ordered a second-hand copy and it's not due to arrive until 30th Jan - 8th Feb. Oops.

I got waylaid and haven't even started it. I guess I will sit this one out...

I got waylaid and haven't even started it. I guess I will sit this one out...

I'll start the discussion on Sunday or Monday. I just lost 5 hours of reading time after shoveling up two large snow storms in a row.

Just finished it on a flight back home. It went in places that were different from what I thought was foreshadowed at the start of the book. A good read; I enjoyed it.

Just finished! I enjoyed it. Rather not what I was expecting.