2. The Plot(s)

There were multiple plot threads running simultaneously - for example the murders based on the tale of Punch, plus the turf war between Father and Mother Thames, plus the development of Peter Grant's own magical prowess. Was this too much? Or did the various plot arcs dovetail sufficiently well for you?

Comments

Plus a minor side-quest to destroy a nest of vampires, plus the turf war between Tyburn and the Folly.

Yes, I think there was too much for one book. Some of it was laying pipe for later books in the series (which I've not read). Grant's magical development was a way of including some exposition about magic. The conflict between the Thameses wasn't explored enough, and could have been dropped. It didn't add anything to the book, I think.

Somehow, Wodehouse could write a short novel that had as many plots as this, and we'd call it intricate. But here, yes, maybe too many. Plus I found the main plot about the murders to be quite convoluted - in fact I lost track of exactly who was whom around at around the 2/3 mark.

The whole Tyburn/Folly plot line also left me wondering 'why is this happening'?

I think the Tyburn / Folly thing is one of the items that @NeilNjae referred to as laying pipe for another book
    I think of the four plots (main investigation, Peter Grant's development, Thames turf War, Tyburn/Folly clash) there are maybe one too many. The Thames seems a vehicle to introduce characters for future novels. This was a reread, and I hadn't remembered the Tyburn plot.

It was fine for me. I didn't lose track of anything. I could follow it all and know what was happening at any given time. The characters were all distinct and separate in my head.