September / October / November books

All,
we have books now for our collective reading in September, October and November. They are:

September: Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko, hosted by @NeilNjae
October: A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar, hosted by @RichardAbbott
November: the Binti trilogy of novellas by Nnedi Okorafor, hosted by @clash_bowley

Our August read, with discussion almost upon us, is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, hosted by @BarnerCobblewood

I have added categories for each of those, so anyone who likes to get notifications can now add these to their preferences.

@NeilNjae if at some stage you could put an introductory post there with blurb or whatever that would be great.

Comments

I've just noticed that Vita Nostra is about 400 pages. That's long for a monthly read.

Do we want to modify the schedule to accommodate this? (Cloud Atlas was 530 pages, for comparison.)

If everyone's keen on this then we could have Vita Nostra in September + October, then the Binti series in November for Clash's birthday, then I'll pick up December with A Stranger in Olondria, and Apocryphal with something in January.

Thoughts anyone?

On the other hand, I'm finding it a real page turner and a quick read! So, sorry I brought this up...

@NeilNjae said:
    On the other hand, I'm finding it a real page turner and a quick read! So, sorry I brought this up...

I agree - I just started it today and am finding it entirely compelling. Hard to stop... I'm currently a third of the way through...

Not to kill the joy, but I’m not feeling the same.

So let's make a decision together... should we

a) keep to the original plan and have September: Vita Nostra, October: A Stranger in Olondria, November: Binti

or

b) change to September+October: Vita Nostra, November: Binti, December : A Stranger in Olondria

?

Having now finished Vita Nostra my vote would be (a) as it is interesting and provocative, but maybe not a hugely long read?

Anyone else?

I have no strong preference. I’ll be finished Vita by the end of the month, so I’ll be better able to discuss it by the original schedule. But Stangers will make a nice December book, so I don’t mind that option either.

We could keep Vita in Sept, move Binti to Nov and Stangers to dec, then insert something short and spooky into Oct?
    I vote to stick with the original schedule, and my apologies for causing confusion.
    edited September 16

BTW, I'm finding Vita more intriguing now. Initially I kept trying to compare it to Harry Potter because of how it's reviewed, but I've begun to realize it's more Kafka/Hesse. I'm 75% done. There's still a lot about it that doesn't add up, but maybe it will by the end?

@Apocryphal said:
    BTW, I'm finding Vita more intriguing now. Initially I kept trying to compare it to Harry Potter because of how it's reviewed, but I've begun to realize it's more Kafka/Hesse. I'm 75% done. There's still a lot about it that doesn't add up, but maybe it will by the end?

It turns out that it's part one of a trilogy, which I didn't know when I recommended it. But the Harry Potter comparison is definitely one to talk about when we get to that.

On Good Reads it’s labelled as ‘Vita Nostra #1’ so I was tipped off. Hopefully it stands alone?
    I hadn't realised until reading this thread that it wasn't stand alone! The ending feels like a self-contained story, though with the possibility of the characters having further development later on