May 2021 selection - Our 100th book

Coming in May to a book club near you! I wanted something classic, by an author we haven't read yet, suitable for RPG play, and tonally different from our last few books.
I think this fits the bill!

Comments

I’m in.

In like Flynn!

Oh excellent... I've never read this

I've not read this either. But celebrating with a book about people in a small community that study monstrous creations? Are you trying to tell us something?

edited April 22

Wells was a great writer and I've found his works generally really still stand up today. They're also more sophisticated than the rather shallow media portrayals would suggest.

BTW, the June selection will be your's, @NeilNjae .
    Followed by @Ray_Otus in July, @BarnerCobblewood in August, and @WildCard in September.

@Apocryphal said:
    Wells was a great writer and I've found his works generally really still stand up today. They're also more sophisticated than the rather shallow media portrayals would suggest.

BTW, the June selection will be your's, @NeilNjae .

Wells is great. I've read a few of his books, but not yet Moreau. I'm looking forward to it! (I think I read Aldiss's reworking of it when I was much younger, but can't really remember much about it.)

As for the June selection, I'm torn between a few options. Perhaps I'll post another thread with options.

I'm in on this one!

@MARCC said:
    I'm in on this one!

Good news!

Started reading it yesterday.

Read it a few times and will happily read it again. Whenever he says blood transfusions, just think genetic manipulation or something and you will be amazed! Or don't and just read it "in period" and enjoy. Something to wet your whistle from this month's New Yorker - it's a great read if you don't mind giving them your email. The article is about a biologist who is teaching frogs and mice and planarians to regrow things (or to grow inappropriate things) with electrical impulses, Frankenstein style! :) It posits great hope for people to regrow limbs, brain tissue, etc. in the future and possibly for body modification. The trick will also be accelerating growth or someone regrowing a foot, for instance, will spend some years with a tiny foot. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/05/10/persuading-the-body-to-regenerate-its-limbs

As I'm reading this book I realize this is a perfect fit for my 1920 weird science Modern AGE ongoing campaign.

We read this this month and discuss it next? Right?

@Ray_Otus said:
    We read this this month and discuss it next? Right?

Yes, Ray!

Technically we discuss books at the end of the month, but in practice the start dates are always a little late.

End of the month, like May thirty-fifth...

I'm in. Sorry for my long absence - I was struggling to read much, but I think I have my mojo back.

> @dr_mitch said:
    > I'm in. Sorry for my long absence - I was struggling to read much, but I think I have my mojo back.

Good to see you back :)

@dr_mitch said:
    I'm in. Sorry for my long absence - I was struggling to read much, but I think I have my mojo back.

Yes, Welcome back dr. mitch! :D

:D > @clash_bowley said:

End of the month, like May thirty-fifth...

@dr_mitch said:

Apologies be damned. I've found the best way to re-engage with the club is to just say "fuck you" to any feelings of guilt about not being there and participate when I can/feel like it. :P No need for "Sorries." Good to see your name again.

No reason to feel guilty. People can come as go as they please. But that doesn’t mean your friends won’t miss you while you’re away!