March 2020 - Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovitch

I thought I'd get ahead of myself and flag up the March choice, following on after Player of Games as chosen by @dr_mitch .

I've been meaning to read Rivers of London for some time, and got slightly captivated by the fact that the opening chapter is set a few yards up the road from where I used to work in London, before giving up on all that and moving out here to Cumbria (me, I mean, not the book). But all the street names and such like are hugely familiar to me.

An Amazon (UK) link is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rivers-London-First-novel-Book-ebook/dp/B004K1EC1S/ - it's available in all kinds of formats including (allegedly) mp3 if that's your thing.

The blurb says

--

My name is Peter Grant and until January I was just probationary constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking people as the Metropolitan Police Service (and as the Filth to everybody else). My only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the Case Progression Unit - we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to - and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously perky WPC Leslie May. Then one night, in pursuance of a murder inquiry, I tried to take a witness statement from someone who was dead but disturbingly voluble, and that brought me to the attention of Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England.

Now I'm a Detective Constable and a trainee wizard, the first apprentice in fifty years, and my world has become somewhat more complicated: nests of vampires in Purley, negotiating a truce between the warring god and goddess of the Thames, and digging up graves in Covent Garden ... and there's something festering at the heart of the city I love, a malicious vengeful spirit that takes ordinary Londoners and twists them into grotesque mannequins to act out its drama of violence and despair.

The spirit of riot and rebellion has awakened in the city, and it's falling to me to bring order out of chaos - or die trying.

--

Now, it's fair warning to say that some of the 1* reviews of this book are from people who struggled with the very UK-English narrative style of the author - even more so than David Black in this month's Gone to Sea in a Bucket - so we'll see how we get on collectively with it.

Comments

FYI: The U.S. edition appears to be entitled Midnight Riot.

Yay - first book in one of my favourite series! And a really major influence on Liminal.

@RichardAbbott said:
    Now, it's fair warning to say that some of the 1* reviews of this book are from people who struggled with the very UK-English narrative style of the author - even more so than David Black in this month's Gone to Sea in a Bucket - so we'll see how we get on collectively with it.

I've been reading this and thinking it's quite British, but not that bad, surely. Then I came to the chapter entitled "The Jackanory Version". Oh, you poor yanks. You won't have a clue.

For those who really want to get into it, here's a recent UK Government recruiting poster... they did a whole series with captions "be a force for..." which I thought went pretty well with the book :)

Hi all, I intend putting up discussion starters in the middle of next week, probably Wednesday. Please let me know if this is too early for anyone.

I’m a bit behind but should catch up by then.

I can always hold back a day or two if that's the consensus

edited March 25
    Finished my reread. It prompted me to read October Man, a linked book set in Germany, by the same author.

I LOVED THIS!

I've finished it, so post when you're ready.

Discussion starters now posted in the appropriate group area! Only a day later than I originally intended...