Ringworld RPG

There's an interesting discussion of the old (ancient by RPG standards, published in 1984) Ringworld RPG published by Chaosium and now long out of print.

The discussion is at BRP Central: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/10571-ringworld-roleplaying-adventure-beneath-the-great-arch/?tab=comments#comment-158559

The general consensus seems to be that the setting is very large, and something is needed to ground the players and get them hopping to other locations on the ring. This is a similar problem to Space Opera type campaigns - where the setting is basically the entire galaxy, and can be huge. With space opera, though, it's easier to imagine each location as a 'point of light' - a discrete (and probably two dimensional?) location on the map, basically the backdrop for the scene, rather than a living, breathing location. Maybe this is why I've never really gravitated to space as a gaming milieu? I love settings too much!

Link: Ringworld RPG

Comments

edited November 2

The problem is GMs who need to have everything laid out for them and don't understand the value of creativity plus a little work. Ringworld is a brilliant RPG, and if GM's don't know what to do with it, it's their own damn fault. I own it AND the Companion, and it heavily influenced StarCluster v.1.0, and yes, I got hit with the 'but what do you DO????' bullshit too. My answer? Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out.