Hiero's Journey - 8. The rest of the series

The follow-up book, The Unforsaken Hiero, starts by following Hiero's own personal exploits, but becomes increasingly organisationally focused, as the war between the Kandan Confederacy and the Unclean hots up. Would this development interest you or do you prefer individual sagas? Sterling Lanier intended to write this as a trilogy, but died in 2007 at age 80, over 20 years after The Unforsaken Hiero was published. One can only speculate why he never fulfilled his intention.
What kind of storyline would you like to have seen in a final volume?

Comments

I purchased the follow-up volume when I picked up the first, so I'm willing to give it a go sometime.

If it were me writing, I suppose I'd either continue to follow Hiero, maybe taking him further inside the Unclean (where he can really be outside of his environment) and try to give the Unclean more interesting dimensions.

Another, maybe more interesting, tactic might be to start again in Kanda with a successor to Hiero who heads off to try and find out what happened to the missing priest. Then, in the third volume, cover the return journey of one or both of those.

I'm not that bothered by the sequel, especially as the reviews for it aren't as good as this one.

If this is following the Campbellian monomyth, the next stage in Hiero's journey is the rebirth and apotheosis. That could easily be where Hiero comes to understand much more of the Unclean, their powers, and the technology that supports them. He would then use those new powers to overcome various challenges and finally come back to Metz a changed, and much more powerful, man. He'd use the combination of the Eleveners' and the Unclean's powers to create a new, much more powerful, Metz which could bring civilisation to Kanda and the lands around.

Interesting analysis, thanks.

I'm tempted to read the sequel. It sounds like there's more in the way of world building and fantasy politics. And reading more about the societies sounds more interesting to me than more about the lives of the characters.

That said, this book was fun because of the gonzo adventure element, and it would be a shame to lose that. I don't know if I want it without that element if it's in the same style.
    edited May 16

I don't know. I have to fight my base instinct to make things more nuanced just to read this book, which makes it a bit of a strain. I don't think it would be a much fun if it were more nuanced, though, not unless it were an entirely different book, and far, far, far more nuanced. Then it would be interesting in a very different way.

This, by the way, is what I was afraid of... joining the conversation after everyone else left. A convesation of one... :wink: