The Hair-Carpet Weavers Q3: Translation
The author, Andreas Eschbach, is German. Could you tell? Did any 'German' character come through (so far as you might imagine it)? If you didn't know this was a translation, could you have guessed?
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Help offset server costs by donating. This is totally optional. Any overages will go to library fines or new books.
The author, Andreas Eschbach, is German. Could you tell? Did any 'German' character come through (so far as you might imagine it)? If you didn't know this was a translation, could you have guessed?
Comments
I have to admit that I couldn't tell and wouldn't have guessed it was in translation without having been told right at the start.
Same here. It didn't read as a translated book.
I had no idea. The translation was seamless for me.
I curious what would have been a tell for those of you who said it didn't seem translated. I've read many translated books and generally speaking I can't really tell them apart from native English books. But I don find that Russian books have a different kind of tone to them. I don't think it's a language issue, more about how they're written. But I don't really detect a tone here. There is a sparsity to the text, but I couldn't say that was a German trait.
THat's a good question.
I find Soviet SF has a very distinct style, and the 3 Body Problem books also were very distinct. However, had I NOT know before reading those books that they were translated, would I have noticed then? Perhaps not.